20090107

a girl from work

This girl I work with said she'd made some thread paintings in the past. I asked if that meant she used both thread and paint on the canvas, and she said no, just thread, and that it got kind of expensive because thread was like $2 a roll, and she used about 30 rolls on the last one. My favorite band from 2002 or maybe 2003 said "Art is Hard" and I will always believe they were right. Most of my friends are starving artists of some kind, or have been in the past. Sometimes I feel like there is hardly a way to recover from this; you are born this way and you both love it and hate it and there is nothing you can do. Still, it got me thinking that I would like to do more arty things, like not thread paintings but whatever my idea of the equivalent of something like that might be. And then I thought about how I already do a lot of cool or just plain weird not-for-money things, at least in comparison to the average normal person, and no matter how many things you create you will always see that there is more ground to cover. I'd like to cover more ground, and also get my hands on one of those thread paintings.

4 comments:

  1. i have been feeling like this too.
    i am taking a sewing class starting in feb., i want to take an embroidery class and a painting class, and i think i'm going to take up snowshoeing. i am afraid i will abandon all these things in a month after spending hundreds of dollars on materials and classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i've done that before on oil paints, and bass guitar, guitar, other things. i'm interested in hearing about all of these things, but especially snowshoeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello kevin! i like this post. winter time always makes me stir crazy. my husband and i took up block printing. we aren't very good at it, but it's a fun project. also, art is hard, is that cursive?

    ReplyDelete